Surprising Questions Abroad: 'Do You Prefer Beef, Chicken, or Pork?

Surprising Questions Abroad: 'Do You Prefer Beef, Chicken, or Pork?

Common Questions in Malaysia

When dining out in Malaysia, you'll often be asked about your food preferences. Personally, the only thing I need to be careful about in Malaysia is that I'm not a fan of mangoes (which surprises people and I feel sorry about it). Other than that, I can eat pretty much anything, so I usually answer based on my mood—whether I want something rich or something light.

However, apart from the fact that mangoes are a no-go for me in Malaysia, which might be a personal preference, there's another question I frequently get asked, which isn't common in Japan.


Preferences for Meat

A common question I get asked is about meat preferences. They often ask which type of meat I prefer. Malaysia has a significant Muslim population, and Muslims don't consume pork, but you can find pork dishes in Chinese cuisine. Besides that, Malaysia offers various chicken and beef dishes, and you can also find lamb.

In Japan, I've never really been asked about my meat preferences. Even if I've mentioned that I prefer fish when asked whether I prefer meat or fish, I've never been questioned further about which type of meat I like.

If I were to specify, I tend to eat pork more often in Japan, mainly because it's often affordable at the supermarkets I frequent. In Malaysia, requesting pork might limit my options depending on the place, and I'm concerned about that.

To be honest, I enjoy all types of meat without any particular preference. So, when faced with this question, I often preface my response with, "I like them all, but…" and then I usually end up saying I like beef. It's probably because I find steak and similar dishes exciting.

As a result, one of my friends now remembers my preference and excitedly points out when there's a beef menu item. While it's heartwarming that my friend remembers, I often end up ordering chicken dishes, thinking, "Well, I can eat chicken, and it's usually cheaper."

When I was a high school student doing a homestay in New Zealand, I remember being asked if I ate lamb, but I don't recall being questioned about my meat preferences. (Interestingly, the family I stayed with served lamb almost every day, so I wonder what would have happened if I had said I couldn't eat it.)

I'm not sure if these questions are region-specific or not, but if you're planning to stay in Malaysia or abroad in the future, you might need to be prepared to answer questions about your meat preferences, as it could be a topic of conversation!


Recommended Reading!!


The Results of English Learning: Why I Was Able to Speak in English During a Discussion! Can't Take Passport Photos!? I'm in the Midst of a Battle First Challenge! Malaysian Cuisine at "Malay Chan" in Ikebukuro (Halal Certified) - Tokyo's Halal Restaurant

No comments:

Post a Comment