Exploring Islam at the National Mosque and Islamic Arts Museum in Malaysia

Exploring Islam at the National Mosque and Islamic Arts Museum in Malaysia

The National Mosque and Islamic Arts Museum

Malaysia is home to a significant Malay Muslim population, with mosques dotting the cityscape. These mosques broadcast loud prayers through microphones during prayer times, which some people might find quite loud. It's not uncommon to come across comments in reviews of Malaysian hotels and Airbnbs complaining about the loud calls to prayer disrupting sleep.

In my case, I live near a mosque at my student dormitory, and while the calls to prayer do resonate, they aren't deafening. Living in an Islamic country was one of the reasons I chose to study in Malaysia, and the daily calls to prayer don't bother me to the extent some may think.

Now, in the heart of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, you can find the National Mosque and the Islamic Arts Museum.

During my recent visit, I decided to explore both places, mainly because they are close to each other. Additionally, upon arrival, I realized that I had just missed the visiting hours for the mosque, so I needed to spend some time.


Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia (IAMM)

Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia (IAMM)

 


Exhibition and Museum Shop (Daily)
9:30 AM – 6:00 PM
Last entry at 5:30 PM

Ticket Prices (as per the website, subject to change)
Adults: RM20
Students: RM10
Senior citizens (Malaysian): RM10
Senior citizens (non-Malaysian): RM20
Children under 6: Free

Once you purchase your ticket at the entrance, you'll navigate the museum using elevators. The galleries showcase intricately decorated Qurans, clothing, and accessories worn by notable figures from various regions, all adorned with calligraphic art.

Islamic Arts Museum

One fascinating aspect was the inclusion of Islamic artifacts from countries beyond Malaysia and the Middle East, such as China. It provided insights into the spread of Islam to different regions.

The museum itself features beautiful, mosque-like decorative ceilings, which add to its charm.

Inside of Islamic Arts Museum

What caught my interest was the presence of Islamic-related items from countries like China, where Muslim communities reside, apart from Malaysia and Middle Eastern nations. It offered a glimpse into the global reach of Islam.


The National Mosque (Masjid Negara)

The National Mosque (Masjid Negara)


Following my museum visit, I headed straight to the National Mosque. At the entrance, there was information on whether tourists were allowed in at that time. I suspect they display announcements about non-prayer times when tourists can enter.

Visiting Hours for Masjid Negara (Subject to Change)
Excluding Fridays:
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
3:30 PM – 6:30 PM

Fridays Only:
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
3:30 PM – 6:30 PM

Upon entering, you need to register your details. I filled out a form on a tablet, which the lady at the entrance kindly provided. However, I accidentally wrote "region" instead of "religion" for my religion. I only realized my mistake later – embarrassing!

Subsequently, you proceed to wear a robe and follow the tour route. Reviews I had read beforehand mentioned that these robes could get hot. It's true; it's an extra layer in Malaysia's already hot and humid weather. However, the fabric was smoother than expected, making it bearable.

I have to wear this purple in Masijid Negara

Naturally, the interior is a religious facility, so there are designated areas for prayers and worshippers. Tourists walk through while being mindful not to disturb those praying. I toured with a sense of respect, considering how I would like to be treated if I were at my own country's religious site.

The mosque's interior provides numerous picturesque spots, and I noticed some influencers capturing images with tripods and selfie sticks. They were considerate and didn't obstruct anyone.

Inside of the Mosque

As seen in the photo, despite the designated tour route, there's plenty to explore within this vast mosque. Moreover, from the balcony, I captured stunning views of Kuala Lumpur.

View of KL from Masjid Negara

Being easily accessible in the heart of Kuala Lumpur, visiting an actual mosque was a remarkable experience. However, do note that there are limited visiting hours for non-Muslims. So, if you have a tight schedule, I recommend checking the hours before your visit.


Tourist Attractions Related to Islam

In Japan, there aren't many mosques, and opportunities to engage with Islam are relatively scarce. Being able to visit Islamic tourist attractions like the Islamic Arts Museum and the National Mosque, where you can experience Islamic culture, is a unique feature of Malaysia.

A little further away, you'll find the Blue Mosque (Masjid Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah) and the Pink Mosque (Masjid Putra). I'm looking forward to visiting them on weekends in the future.


Recommended Reading!!


Surprising Questions Abroad: 'Do You Prefer Beef, Chicken, or Pork? Instant and cheap a hanko(name stamp) shop! Vending machine that makes stamps with the same name as your favorite character@ Don Quijote Ikebukuro East Exit High school transcript required to obtain Malaysian student visa! Hopeless to study abroad for working adults 5 years after graduation? How to break through?

No comments:

Post a Comment