First Challenge! Malaysian Cuisine at "Malay Chan" in Ikebukuro (Halal Certified) – Tokyo's Halal Restaurant

First Challenge! Malaysian Cuisine at "Malay Chan" in Ikebukuro (Halal Certified) – Tokyo's Halal Restaurant

Malaysian Cuisine at "Malaychan"

Whenever I mention that I'm going to Malaysia, there's always a restaurant that Asian food lovers highly recommend to me. That place is "Malaychan," a Malaysian restaurant located in Ikebukuro.

I decided to give it a try one evening after work. The restaurant is located on the west side of Ikebukuro Station. While various sources mention it's a 5-minute walk from the station, it's not referring to the popular image of the JR Ikebukuro Station's front rotary from the west exit. Instead, it's the distance from the Ikebukuro Station 1b exit, where you walk through the underground passage for a while and come out near the Tokyo Metropolitan Theatre and Rikkyo University. I have overlooked this before and almost been late for appointments at restaurants in the Ikebukuro area, so it's something to be cautious about.



What kind of restaurant is "Malaychan"?




"Malaychan" is an authentic Malaysian restaurant that has been serving traditional cuisine for over 30 years. It's quite impressive that it has continued to thrive in the heart of the city for three decades.

Now, the exterior of the restaurant is stylish and eye-catching, making it hard to believe that it's a bit far from the station. In front of the restaurant, there are menus and samples displayed, allowing you to get a sense of the dishes served.

Upon entering the restaurant, there are several table seats available. I was guided to one of the tables on the first floor, but I heard there is also seating on the second floor.

As I looked through the menu, trying to decide what to eat, the friendly owner, who I assume is the "Mama-san," recommended their signature appetizer set (¥1,100) and suggested adding other appetizers if desired before moving on to the main course.

The owner mentioned that they are usually extremely busy during both lunch and dinner, but today, miraculously, they had some free time. While waiting for my order, I had a pleasant chat with Mama-san.

Perhaps due to the need for hospitality in serving halal cuisine, they usually focus on bento and lunch services. Indeed, there aren't many restaurants serving halal food that come to mind, and even if there's no particular requirement, I believe it's a place worth recommending to friends who have come from afar.

When I mentioned my plan to study abroad in Malaysia, Mama-san kindly shared various aspects of life in Malaysia and offered advice on language learning. Since I'll be attending a language school, there will likely be many foreign students from different countries, but I thought it would be great to make local friends and go out with them!

Despite it being our first meeting, the atmosphere was incredibly pleasant.



Malaysian Cuisine at "Malaychan"

After a while, the dishes arrived. First, the appetizer set, which showcased various Malaysian dishes, was presented on a stylish plate designed like a sterilizing effect banana peel.

In particular, the skewered meat (sate) topped with a curry-like sauce was delicious. The portion sizes of each dish were just right.

I also ordered spring rolls with tempeh. 

Recently, I've been learning Indonesian on Duolingo because it's similar to Malay, and I've always wondered what tempeh tastes like. It was fortunate to have the opportunity to try it.

By the way, as I looked through the menu, I noticed some familiar words like "ayam" (chicken), so it was fun to come across words I knew.

After finishing the appetizers, the main course, "Mee Goreng," arrived. 

It's a sweet and savory stir-fried noodles commonly found in Indonesia and the Malay Peninsula. It was packed with small shrimp (probably) and vegetables, and I was satisfied.

Although I wanted to try the desserts as well, I felt that eating more would affect me the next day, so I decided to stop there this time.



The Allure of "Malaychan": Attention to Detail and Convenience

Upon returning home, I discovered that Malay Chan occasionally receives lessons from Malaysian chefs, which helps them refine their culinary skills. They are continuously working on improving their techniques.

Regarding payment methods, they accept cash, of course, but they also offer a wide range of cashless options such as QR code payments and credit cards. This convenience is appealing since many small Asian ethnic restaurants only accept cash. As someone who prefers cashless transactions, I brought a little extra cash just in case, but it seems there was no need to worry.

There are still many dishes I haven't had the chance to try, such as Nasi Goreng and desserts, so I would love to visit Malay Chan again!

No comments:

Post a Comment