Trying a Free Trial Lesson at an Overseas Language School from Japan

Trying a Free Trial Lesson at an Overseas Language School from Japan

Searching for a Chinese Language School Again

After coming to Malaysia, I plan to take English and Chinese language classes. I'm set to obtain a student visa through an English language school, and my preparations for entry are almost complete.

Of course, I had previously made a decision regarding language schools, but it turns out that the schedules no longer align with my plans for learning Chinese. Therefore, I've decided to switch schools.

Using Google, I searched for Chinese language schools primarily in Malaysia. I found language schools like ELC Learning and MAMA Mandarin. I also came across Confucius Institutes, even those located at the University of Malaya.

I thought Confucius Institutes were mainly for university students, but it turns out they offer courses for the general public as well. However, it seemed there was a discount for those within the university community, and I felt a bit hesitant to attend as an outsider, so I put it on hold.

Considering these options, I decided to search for language schools.


Free Trial Lesson

What was particularly helpful during my search for a language school was the availability of free trial lessons. It seems that many language schools now offer not only in-person classes but also online courses due to the recent trend toward digitalization.

To apply for a language school's free trial lesson, the standard method is to either fill out a form provided on the school's website or directly contact them via WhatsApp.

For instance, the message I sent looked like this:

"I'm interested in the Premium Mandarin Course. I would like to take your free trial course."

If the website lacks sufficient information, you can also add something like:

"Could you please send me your school's brochure?"

As mentioned in a previous article, when contacting Malaysian language schools, using messaging apps like WhatsApp was quick and convenient.

If this were China, it would be WeChat, and in Japan or Korea, it might be LINE. The availability of emojis, read receipts, and "like" functions makes communication easier and offers a benefit.

By the way, free trial lessons often involved receiving a Zoom URL from the teacher and accessing it at the scheduled time. If you're using Zoom on a computer, it's a good idea to have WhatsApp accessible on your computer as well.

For language schools outside Japan, time zone differences should also be checked.


Advantages and Disadvantages of Free Trial Lessons

I've identified three benefits of free trial lessons at language schools that I actually experienced:

  1. Understanding the pace of lessons and teaching methods
  2. Experiencing language lessons in English while still in Japan
  3. Identifying personal weaknesses and learning methods before studying abroad

Firstly, you can gain insight into the pace of lessons and teaching methods. Even at schools with good reputations, some felt quite demanding and strict to me, making me want to explore other options in terms of continued learning. This experience served as a reference when choosing a school.

Secondly, you can experience English language lessons while learning Chinese. Although I was taking Chinese classes, having to express questions in English allowed me to practice both languages simultaneously. The fact that this is possible while still in Japan surprised me.

Lastly, free trial lessons help you identify your weaknesses and learning methods before studying abroad. Although I had been studying Chinese primarily based on grammar and reading and writing skills, the trial lessons demanded more speaking. I realized that I understood Chinese based on characters much more than I had been aware of. While simple concepts were manageable, as the level increased, I struggled to recall words even when shown in pinyin.

This highlighted deficiencies in my pronunciation and listening skills. As a result, I realized that studying using a Chinese-English dictionary might have its limitations. Therefore, I'm considering incorporating more speaking practice.

On the flip side, while the initial communication through WhatsApp for scheduling free trial lessons was convenient, afterward, language schools often followed up with sales pitches.

Even if you attend several free trial lessons, you will likely commit to enrolling at only one school. Hence, continuously receiving sales messages from other schools might become stressful.

However, I'm not sure if my approach is the best, but in my case, I might switch to a new SIM card after arriving in Malaysia, which could change my WhatsApp-associated phone number. In the meantime, I'm dealing with this situation by occasionally updating schools about my decision via message or slowly disengaging.


Consideration of Language School Search Results

As for whether I've found my ideal Chinese language school after attending free trial lessons, I would say I've narrowed down my options. While I was able to keep up with English language lessons to some extent, I felt that it wasn't sufficient. Additionally, the language schools I'm considering offer courses that aren't for 10 months, 6 months, or a year. Therefore, I'm contemplating delaying the start of my Chinese language course.

In return, if I have the capacity, I'm considering trying a 2-month one-on-one online Chinese course to improve my speaking abilities. With the opportunity to step back from work and focus on language learning, I feel more motivated to excel.


Recommended Reading!!


Creating a Proxy Cash Card at Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation 

No comments:

Post a Comment