Creating a Proxy Cash Card at Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation

Creating a Proxy Cash Card at Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation

My Main Bank is...

My main bank is Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC). I've been using the account my family set up for me since I was young. Recently, when I went to reflect my change of name due to marriage, I was happy to see that the card design had been updated. This made me even more attached to it.

By the way, I also have a Wise account set up to withdraw money overseas.

This time, I learned that a proxy cash card that my husband could use could be created, so I went ahead and made one.


Proxy Cash Card

A proxy cash card is a service where the account holder (in this case, me) can apply in advance at the bank to issue a cash card for a proxy (in this case, my husband). It's worth noting that the proxy can be a second-degree relative or closer.

With this proxy cash card, the proxy can use ATMs just like the account holder.

I had assumed this service was mainly for elderly family members, but it seems that it can also be used for couples who want to share a joint account, not just for elderly relatives.

I used to think it might be tricky just for cohabiting couples or partners (I haven't thoroughly researched common-law marriage situations, so make sure to check), but I realized that marriage has legal implications.


Procedure at the Bank

To create a proxy cash card, you need to bring the following three items to a Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation branch:

Personal identification documents
届出印(Hanko, name stamp)
Passbook or cash card

When you visit a Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation branch, you can easily inquire about the requirements at the reception desk. Let them know that you want to create a proxy cash card.

Although it's called a proxy cash card, it's more like printing an additional cash card under my name. Since I was personally present at the bank, they didn't ask for a reason beyond "It's a cash card for my husband."

I had recently changed my hanko, so I was aware of it, but if you're not sure, you can bring a few potential stamps and have them confirmed on the spot.

Maybe because I didn't have a reservation, there were few open windows during weekday afternoons, and some windows were busy, so I think I waited for about 30 minutes. During that time, I filled out the application form and completed the procedure at the called window.

During the procedure, they verified the account information I had written on the application form and whether the name written in the proxy section was that of a family member. I also set the PIN number for the proxy card (it can be the same as my own cash card).

If there are no issues with this procedure, the card is said to arrive at your home in about 10 days.

Even though I had just reissued my own card when changing my name, I completely forgot that it wouldn't be issued on the same day (it might vary by branch).


Points to Note for the Proxy Cash Card

By the way, there are a few points to note for the proxy cash card. If any card-related procedures are required, such as changing the PIN number, the account holder (myself) needs to perform the procedures at the bank, not the proxy.

While immediate card-related procedures are unlikely, it's important to be mindful so that if the need arises, you won't make a mistake.

Also, since my name is written on the card's surface, I need to explain this to the proxy (my husband). I also need to make sure not to confuse it with my own card.


Conclusion: About the Proxy Cash Card

Although I had been preparing for this for a while and went to the bank with the attitude of "Let's do it!", I surprisingly managed to create the card quite easily.

Although there are some points to be cautious about, having a family card for "just in case" situations with trustworthy family members brings a sense of reassurance.

This time, I went to make a cash card with the idea of having it for cases where my husband could assist if there were delays in my transfers while studying abroad. However, since it could also be useful in scenarios where I might be hospitalized or unable to access the bank for an extended period in the future, it might become a lifelong card.

Even though I had been a Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation user for many years, I didn't know about the possibility of creating a proxy cash card. If this article can be helpful to someone in a similar situation, I would be happy.


Recommended Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment