Must-See! "Effective Methods to Learn English Vocabulary Without Getting Bored" Still Applicable for Adults

Must-See! "Effective Methods to Learn English Vocabulary Without Getting Bored" Still Applicable for Adults

Study Methods for English Vocabulary

When I face English exams, I may find it challenging to read complex passages or struggle with speaking, but I rarely have trouble with English vocabulary.

I believe the study methods I used for English during high school and college entrance exams are still applicable.

Looking back, I want to write about the English vocabulary learning methods that I'm glad I pursued.


Excessive Use of the "ターゲットの友(Target's Friend)" to Stir Ambition

"The Target 1900" is often used for studying for university entrance exams. It's a vocabulary book that includes basic to advanced-level words without overwhelming the reader with too many words.

When I worked as a career advisor for high school students preparing for university, I often mentioned that this book alone would suffice for difficult university entrance exams.

There is also an app associated with it called "Target's Friend," or commonly known as "Tagetomo."

Interestingly, when I was a high school student, this app didn't exist, so I used the paid version of "Target 1900." Since it worked well with the paid app, I happily transitioned to Tagetomo when it was released.

The great thing about Tagetomo is that it offers many free practice questions and has a ranking feature. Studying with the goal of improving one's ranking motivates progress.


Inputting Massively and Efficiently through Typing: "iVoca"

I also learned English vocabulary and phrases using a different method through an online service. iVoca is a service where you can play a typing game using custom word lists you create or word lists shared by others.

Imagine a firefighter climbing higher and higher on a ladder truck to rescue residents from a towering high-rise building (based on the length of a vocabulary book). After playing a few times, the game prioritizes words that you often get wrong.

I mentioned this when considering taking English proficiency tests like the Eiken or TOEFL exams, but it seems that typing suits my English learning style. Although I occasionally used the method of physically writing with a pen, it tended to tire my hand before I could memorize effectively, leading to discouragement. Typing, on the other hand, reduces that concern and aligns better with my learning style.


Custom-Made Reference Books Created by Handwriting: "Weakness Overcoming Note"

Lastly, handwritten studying comes into play. If I don't narrow down my English vocabulary at this point, I tend to lose interest in studying.

After learning a certain number of words through the convenient methods mentioned above, I created handwritten "Weakness Overcoming Notes" for words or phrases that I couldn't memorize or that were not in my vocabulary books.

However, I didn't write them in too much detail—just the words, phrases, and their meanings. Since I lacked the patience to review extensively, it was enough to summarize the information to a moderate degree.

It was handy to refer to these notes before mock exams or tests.


Is My English Vocabulary Skill Zero at Present?

If you have studied with some degree of diligence during middle and high school or had ample exposure to English vocabulary during university entrance exam preparation, it's unlikely that your English vocabulary skills are nonexistent.

I think I owe it to my past self, who studied for English tests even though I disliked English and didn't want to be placed in level-separated classes due to strange pride.

However, the reason I decided to write this article now is that I haven't been able to apply these study methods effectively to learning Chinese vocabulary. Typing out pinyin (Chinese phonetic transcription) is a bit inconvenient and unfamiliar to me, and I haven't come across an app like "Tagetomo" that offers a large number of word problems beyond the beginner level. Moreover, somehow, when it comes to Chinese vocabulary, meanings often come to mind when I link them to kanji characters.

For Chinese vocabulary, I plan to try out the recommended methods introduced on various websites and find my own approach.


Recommended Reading

Review of 'Finding Neverland' in Japan - New National Theatre 

No comments:

Post a Comment