Three Reasons Why I Decided to Study Abroad at the Language School

Three Reasons Why I Decided to Study Abroad at the Language School

Studying Abroad at a Language School

When it comes to study abroad for working adults, options like pursuing graduate studies overseas, enrolling in vocational schools to specialize in a particular field, or engaging in volunteer activities might come to mind. However, choosing to enroll in a language school might not be a commonly heard choice.

Perhaps those who consider studying abroad after becoming working professionals are individuals with a certain level of language skills, often belonging to international departments or seeking to establish themselves by acquiring additional skills.

There is an argument on the internet that suggests that studying abroad as a working professional is a form of escape. I do acknowledge that taking a year away from work could potentially impact my lifestyle and mindset.

I previously wrote in my blog that one of the reasons I decided to study abroad was because I saw a YouTuber I love, "Hosuchiru," embarking on a study abroad journey with great enthusiasm.

Highly educated girl with a master's degree, pushed to study abroad by a Kabukicho host

Despite initially struggling with language learning and disliking it, I started developing an interest and a desire to be able to communicate with people from other countries. However, during that time, I was unsure of what steps to take and felt fearful about moving forward.

There were reasons behind my relatively smooth decision to study at a language school. In this post, I would like to write about why I chose to study at a language school.


An Episode with a Senior from My Undergraduate Years

During my time at university, there was an event where we could seek advice from alumni, which allowed me to have conversations with graduates who were already working. I remember meeting a powerful alumna who was in her late 30s.

At that time, I never even considered studying abroad, so I don't recall the exact details of her background. However, she mentioned that she had studied at a language school in the United States for a year when she was around 30 years old.

 Her reason for doing so was, "I felt uncertain about the future of my company and my career, so I decided to step outside for a while!" Although I'm paraphrasing and omitting personal details, her resolute attitude was particularly striking.

I remember expressing surprise, saying something like, "Studying at a language school for a year seems long and unusual, doesn't it?"

In response, my senior emphasized the importance of immersing oneself in a foreign culture, explaining that the experiences gained from it were highly educational. She also mentioned that studying alongside people from various countries had been more beneficial for her career than pursuing a regular university education abroad.

That experience made me realize that studying abroad as a working professional in your 30s, even at a language school, could be a viable option. I believe that conversation with my senior at that time influenced my decision to study abroad this time as well.


Language Education by Professionals

During my student years, I obtained a teaching license and have connections with people who are studying to become English teachers.

What I have come to realize is that being able to speak a language is not enough to teach it; there are specific techniques for teaching languages that language instructors learn.

Based on my personal experience, I once had a conversation with an advanced-level foreign student who asked me questions about Japanese language materials. As a native speaker, I couldn't understand why certain seemingly trivial matters were significant and required rules. Moreover, I couldn't provide an explanation when asked, "Why?" regarding questions that clearly had a correct answer.

I believe this is because I haven't acquired the skills of language education. While it is possible to improve language skills by interacting with friends in the host country, joining that community requires a certain level of language proficiency. If the goal is to enhance language skills from a lower level, it is advisable to learn from professionals in that field.


Activities and Services for Study Abroad Students

Language schools are often frequented by study abroad students, which is why many of them already offer day trips, cultural classes, and activities specifically designed for such students. 

When I was searching for language schools, I noticed that many schools organized excursions when I checked their social media accounts. Additionally, since my search for language schools coincided with the Chinese New Year, there were schools that decorated their campuses and engaged in festive celebrations.

While it may be debatable whether these can be classified as services, there are environments where cultural issues that tend to cause trouble for foreigners are explained, and staff members are available to answer daily questions.

Although I don't want to rely too heavily on assistance, I can be quite shy and sometimes hesitate to ask questions. However, just knowing that the staff may be experienced in handling certain issues makes me feel more at ease.

In fact, when I was going through the procedures for obtaining a student visa, I was able to ask detailed questions and proceed smoothly.


Study Abroad as a Working Professional is Worth It

In this blog post, I shared the reasons why I, a woman in her 30s, chose to study abroad at a language school. I hope this serves as a reference for my senior's story and others in similar situations.

By the way, as the deadline for my study abroad approaches, I've been managing my schedule by handling paperwork and clarifying uncertainties through emails even on workdays. I feel like my schedule management skills have improved, and I would like to write about that in the future as well.


Recommended Reading!

Battling with Wisdom Tooth Extraction Before Studying Abroad!Into a New World of Sleep!? Embracing Bed Life for the First Time as a Study Abroad 'Futon Girl'Blissful Tea Time♪ Exclusive Mandarin Oriental Hotel Tokyo Experience

No comments:

Post a Comment