Into a New World of Sleep!? Embracing Bed Life for the First Time as a Study Abroad 'Futon Girl'

Into a New World of Sleep!? Embracing Bed Life for the First Time as a Study Abroad 'Futon Girl'

I am a Futon Girl

From as far back as I can remember, my sleeping arrangement has always been a "futon."

Although, I do have some photos from when I was a baby where I was sleeping in a crib, so it seems that I must have transitioned to a bed during my time in the United States. However, I hardly have any recollection of those days.

Living overseas at the age of zero only brought me improved listening skills and the joke of being a "returnee."

However, living with a bed has always been a little dream of mine.

In fact, when I was around elementary school age, I once asked my mother to buy me a bed. However, we ended up ordering a fancy bed imported from overseas, and due to some damage to the wood, it never arrived, leading to a refund.

As I write this now, I realize that back then, there were few furniture stores like IKEA or Nitori, where you could easily assemble furniture, and our apartment living situation made it difficult to bring in a bed. So, I wonder if the excuse of "it didn't arrive from overseas" was just a lie. The truth remains unknown.

In any case, for spiritual reasons like "it's a sign not to have a bed" (a sign of what?), the topic of beds disappeared, and I have continued my life of sleeping on a futon for 27 years.



The "Bed Life" Brought by Studying Abroad

For me, beds have always been something I sleep on when staying in hotels, and I still enjoy the springy feeling of twin beds, moving from one side to the other (while not inconveniencing the hotel too much).

The longest I've ever slept on the same bed was probably during a 14-day homestay in New Zealand for a language program in high school.

However, considering my upcoming study abroad in Malaysia starting in September, it will almost certainly be my first-ever year-long bed life. Although I used to worry about falling off hotel beds due to my restless sleep, I don't think it will be that extreme.


Daily Bed Maintenance?

By the way, something I'm currently curious about is how beds are taken care of compared to futons, which are typically lifted up every day. When I search on the internet, I find myself bombarded with advertisements for fabric fresheners.

My husband used to sleep on a bed before moving here, and he taught me about airing out the mattress, but I wonder if I'll be able to do the same with my mattress and futon in Malaysia.

I have a friend who has experience in hotel bed making, so I plan to ask them about it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment