Getting 5 Vaccinations in One Go Before Studying Abroad in Malaysia! What's the Pre-Travel Schedule? Which Preventive Vaccinations Did I Get?

Getting 5 Vaccinations in One Go Before Studying Abroad in Malaysia! What's the Pre-Travel Schedule? Which Preventive Vaccinations Did I Get?

Pre-Travel Vaccinations

When traveling to Southeast Asia, specifically Malaysia, it's important to take precautions against diseases that we might not encounter while living in Japan. While there are no mandatory vaccinations listed on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' website, there are recommended ones that it's good to have.

I had heard that it takes about six months to complete the vaccination process, so I was planning to get them done early. However, work became busy starting in April, and before I knew it, it was already three months before my trip.

But I want to reassure busy students and travelers that it's not a problem to get vaccinated around this time. I'll share my experience and details about the vaccinations, including the procedures and costs.



Choosing a Travel Clinic

Travel clinics or clinics that specialize in overseas travel consultations and vaccinations are available for pre-travel health consultations and vaccinations.

Since I'm not good at making phone reservations, I searched for a clinic that offers online reservations and operates until late in the evening. I chose MARU Clinic, located in Tokyo Station Marunouchi. It's a branch of Tokyo Business Clinic, and it had reasonably good reviews.

I came across keywords like "MARU is not good" and "Tokyo Business Clinic is suspicious" during my search, but those were probably clickbait titles to attract attention. Overall, there didn't seem to be any excessively negative reviews.

If I had to point out something, it would be the long waiting times.


Process of Travel Vaccination

The clinic is located in a steel building directly connected to Otemachi Station.

I made a reservation for priority fast-pass (not a specific time slot) in advance. However, as mentioned in some reviews, the clinic is mainly used by people who work on weekdays, so it was less crowded on weekend mornings.

The clinic primarily focuses on beauty and fatigue recovery injections. If someone is unwell, they are seen at a different clinic on a separate floor, which provided a sense of security during these times.

I was guided to a counseling seat at a counter, where I filled out a medical record form. After a short wait, a nurse came to assist me.

Although it may be a trivial detail to note at a clinic, all the nurses were cute and kind.

Since I am going for long-term study in Malaysia, I decided on the vaccinations based on the recommended vaccination table displayed on the counter and my own immunization record book.

As I'll explain later, I decided to get all five vaccinations on the same day, even though I was told it was okay to split them into different days.

At this clinic, I received the vaccinations and made the payment at the same counter where I had the counseling session. After a medical examination by the doctor, the nurse who initially assisted me administered the vaccines.

I was a little nervous about getting five shots, but they were all done in one go. Although they stung a bit, the injections were done very skillfully. It's no wonder since this clinic deals with a lot of injections! And the nurses are cute! (Just had to mention it again!)

The tetanus shot was a bit more painful, and I felt a slight sting, but otherwise, everything was fine. By the way, they had informed me in advance, "This one tends to be painful for some people," so I was mentally prepared!


Costs and Considerations

When it comes to self-pay treatments, the expenses can be higher compared to regular hospital consultations, so it's essential to keep this in mind! I had seen some places that only accepted cash for self-pay treatments, so I'm glad I was prepared for that.

I was also worried about being recommended unnecessary vaccinations, but it turned out not to be the case.


Vaccinations before Studying Abroad: What Should You Get?

Initially, I planned to receive vaccinations for Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, and Tetanus, but in the end, I received the following vaccinations. Only for Hepatitis A, I will need an additional dose in Malaysia after six months.

  • Hepatitis A
  • Tetanus (combination)
  • Typhoid Fever
  • Mumps
  • Varicella (Chickenpox)

During the conversation, I asked, "What is mumps?" It turns out it's another term for "parotitis".

Since I never had mumps or chickenpox during my childhood, I'm getting vaccinated this time. It seems that if you have already had these illnesses, you have natural immunity and don't need the vaccinations.

Additionally, some vaccines from childhood might still be effective if you're younger. The decision on which vaccinations to get varies from person to person, so if you plan to study or travel to Malaysia or other Southeast Asian countries and want to receive vaccinations, it's best to consult a clinic first.

Furthermore, not getting certain vaccinations doesn't necessarily mean you will contract those diseases, so it's a matter of personal preference. I heard of someone who went for a long stay without getting any vaccinations and returned without any issues.


Cost of Pre-Travel Vaccinations

I heard that if you get a full set of vaccinations, including those that may not be necessary for urban areas, the cost can reach around 100,000 yen because they are not covered by public funds.

However, the chart I saw today listed the same vaccinations for the Middle East and Asia regions. Considering the wide range of regions and different sanitation and healthcare conditions, I thought it's best to consult a hospital to determine the priority and which vaccines should be added or omitted.

When I went to obtain my maternal and child health handbook, I was told about my childhood vaccinations before traveling to the United States. It seems that the doctor at the hospital determined which vaccinations were necessary or not.

After that, I received routine vaccinations during my childhood overseas and also received what they call "imported vaccines" when I received vaccinations in Japan. But since I grew up without any issues until my late 20s, I didn't have any particular preference for domestic or imported vaccines.

In terms of cost, in my case, it was a little over 50,000 yen because I had additional vaccinations before my teaching practice and used imported vaccines to ensure I could continue the series in Malaysia.

I was prepared to spend more, but it was within my expectations and an acceptable range.


Feeling the Reality of the Journey

I haven't written about it on the blog, but I've been progressing with my visa application, and I'm getting closer to the point where I can travel. I'm starting to feel the reality of studying abroad.

I heard stories of people who were supposed to be assigned to regions where vaccinations are required a few years ago but had their trips postponed multiple times, which might have required them to repeat their vaccinations.

While some vaccines may have a several-year effectiveness, it shouldn't be necessary to get them all again. I hope I can travel without any issues, and I'll continue preparing with that in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment