Three Reasons to Take the TOEFL Before Studying Abroad in Malaysia: A Comparison with IELTS

Three Reasons to Take the TOEFL Before Studying Abroad in Malaysia: A Comparison with IELTS

Studying Abroad with Eiken Qualification

When applying for language training programs, there was a section on the application documents where language test scores needed to be written. I was able to provide my recent HSK score for Chinese proficiency.

However, since I disliked English and never had the opportunity to take exams in English classes or study abroad, I suddenly realized that I still had the English Eiken Pre-2nd Grade certification from junior high school and only a TOEIC score in the 800s that I obtained during my second year of university. All of these scores were outdated.

Although it would have been fine to leave it as it was, I thought it might not look good, so I decided to obtain the Eiken Pre-1st Grade certification (skipping the 2nd Grade level) before applying for the training program. By doing so, I could showcase that I was putting effort into studying English even as a working professional, and successfully obtained the opportunity to study abroad.

I believe it's safe to say that passing the Eiken exam made it possible for me to go on a language training program.



Taking the TOEFL for Myself

However, after deciding to study abroad, I became curious about where I stood as an English learner compared to others.

Although I had a TOEIC score, I wanted to improve my speaking skills, so comparing my previous TOEIC score, which only reflected reading and listening, wouldn't give me a sense of satisfaction.

That's when the TOEFL and IELTS came up as potential exam options. During my university days, I thought these were the two major exams that had no relevance to me.



What are TOEFL and IELTS?

Both TOEFL and IELTS are internationally recognized exams that assess the four language skills: reading, listening, speaking, and writing. TOEFL is conducted by an American institution, while IELTS is conducted by a British institution.

To be honest, apart from the Eiken exam, which is only recognized in Japan (although you do hear about "Eiken study abroad" at the middle and high school levels), I think either TOEFL or IELTS would suffice. However, I am considering taking the TOEFL. I would like to list three reasons for this while comparing it with IELTS.


1. It can be taken in Malaysia.

Even though it's an international exam, if I couldn't take it in Malaysia, I would have to wait until I return to Japan for the next opportunity. I once heard a story from a friend (from somewhere in the Middle East) who couldn't take the Japanese Language Proficiency Test in their home country, so they had to travel to Europe to take it.

With TOEFL (and IELTS, as mentioned later), it can be taken in Malaysia. You can make reservations through the same website used for taking the exam in Japan, and it seems to be held almost every Saturday.


2. The typing format suits me.

I took the Eiken Pre-1st Grade exam using the Eiken CBT (Computer-Based Test) format, and since I'm accustomed to typing, it was easier for me to write English compositions using this format. I also write English emails on the computer at work.

While IELTS is a paper-based test, in the case of TOEFL, the Writing section is done on the computer, which I found appealing.


3. The cost is not significantly different.

Although it depends on the situation and whether students receive assistance from their universities, English exams can be expensive. The TOEFL and IELTS fees both exceed 20,000 yen.
In my case, I don't have a specific need for IELTS, nor is it significantly cheaper. If TOEFL is sufficient for my needs, I thought it would be better to start with that for now.
For a working professional like me, spending 20,000 yen for a stage performance might feel expensive, but it's not so high that it would strain my budget.

It would have been a significant expense during my student days, but for a working professional studying abroad, it's a reasonable cost.


Some Concerns about Taking the TOEFL

Since Malaysia follows the British English system, IELTS tends to be the preferred exam for university admissions. Although there may be universities that accept TOEFL scores, it is generally more common to require IELTS scores.

Also, IELTS can be used for obtaining a UK visa, whereas TOEFL cannot.

However, in my case, the purpose is to assess my language proficiency, and my goal for improving my English skills is not to attend a foreign university but to excel in Japan by using the language.

Although I would need to provide my scores to the company after completing the overseas training, there are no specific score requirements for study abroad or promotion.

Currently, it doesn't seem necessary for me to prepare for moving to English-speaking countries, so I am considering taking the TOEFL.

By the way, I have two friends who specialized in British English and took the IELTS for their study abroad in the UK, and both of them said they never wanted to take the exam again because it was too challenging.

The fact that such exams are being conducted in a field I had never explored before actually piques my interest. It may become an option in the future as well.

Since this will be my first exam other than the Eiken exam, I would like to think of it as a trial and approach it with a casual mindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment