Solo Adventure: Joining the World Heritage Malacca Day Tour from Kuala Lumpur via Klook

Solo Adventure: Joining the World Heritage Malacca Day Tour from Kuala Lumpur via Klook

About a 2-hour Drive from Kuala Lumpur: Malacca, a UNESCO World Heritage Site

Malacca, a UNESCO World Heritage Site located about a 2-hour drive from Kuala Lumpur, holds a rich history. After thriving as the Malacca Sultanate in trade, it was later ruled by the Portuguese, Dutch, and British.

One thing I noticed while in Kuala Lumpur, be it the mosques or train stations, is that Malaysia doesn't seem to face the same kind of widespread building damage from earthquakes as Japan does. Therefore, many old buildings remain standing, contributing to Malacca's unique blend of Western and Asian architectural styles. As someone not well-versed in world history, I found the city's historical ambiance quite fascinating.

While it's possible to travel to Malacca independently by long-distance bus, my language school had organized a Malacca tour during August, a month with high student numbers. However, wanting to learn more about the history and considering the convenience of transportation, I decided to join a local tour.

I booked the local tour through Klook, a platform that has been a lifesaver for travelers. They offer the convenience of booking in Japanese and often run discount campaigns for Japanese credit card users – which I was fortunate to catch.


Klook Travel

Choosing Fun, Discovering Fun, What Klook Can Do. Add fun to your travels with activities and experiences available on Klook!

By the way, I've also written about using Klook tickets to visit the KLCC Aquarium, so if you plan on exploring the Kuala Lumpur area, that might be worth checking out.


The Journey to Malacca

The tour's morning assembly time depends on factors like road conditions, and you receive this information from the tour company or guide on the night before. I saw a comment in a review saying, "I didn't know until the last minute, which made me anxious." I understand the concern, as in Japan, such information is typically provided by the evening. However, I believe predicting the traffic in Kuala Lumpur, especially during the morning or evening rush, would require a high level of expertise, so I don't blame them for taking their time.

In the case of two or more participants, the tour bus usually picks you up from your hotel. However, as a solo traveler, I had to gather at Berjaya Times Square, which is directly connected to Imbi Station, at 8:00 AM.

Visually, tourists from Japan, China, and Korea may blend in with the locals, so it might take some courage to strike up a conversation (or you may even be mistaken for a local – I was). However, since people of non-Asian descent waiting at the gathering point are likely part of the same tour, it provides a sense of security.

The contact the night before even included the car's registration number, so when the tour bus arrived at the scheduled time, I boarded without any issues. Solo travelers made friends quickly and shared seats if there were empty ones.


The Malacca Tour

Melaca

En route to Malacca, our guide provided clear and easy-to-understand explanations of Malacca's history, as well as Malaysia's history and culture. All explanations were in English, but the guide ensured to use very basic English. Moreover, he mentioned at the start, "Today, all of you on this tour are friends, so if you're unsure about anything, ask someone else," creating a comfortable atmosphere that helps anyone feel at ease.

Status of Xavier

Upon arrival in Malacca, we made a brief stop to view a church from the outside. Then, we walked along the river to reach the famous Dutch Square. The city's riverside buildings feature wall art, and the guide explains each one. He also provides advice on good photo spots, like, "This wall art looks better from the other side of the river," which was very helpful.

Participants of all ages, both men and women, walked to St. Paul's Hill to visit St. Paul's Hill Church. Here, you'll find the famous statue of St. Francis Xavier, known to many Japanese as a symbol of a long journey from Europe to Japan during ancient times.

Personally, I had listed visiting this spot on my "Things to Do in Malaysia" list even before arriving, so I was somewhat moved. It made me think, "I traveled a long way from Europe to Japan from the perspective of Europeans."


Nyonya Cuisine and Free Time

I shared a table with other solo travelers for lunch. I didn't take photos, but we had Nyonya cuisine, a Malacca specialty. I couldn't eat too much as I was a bit conscious of my surroundings, but this would serve as a prelude to the free time where I could buy and eat whatever I liked.

In the afternoon, we started at Jonker Street, adorned with rabbit-themed decorations for the Year of the Rabbit. Those interested had the option to join the guide for visits to various places like a Chinese temple or mosque within Jonker Street before the free shopping time.

Jonker Street


During the free time, I used it as an opportunity to visit Stadthuys and the Literature Museum.

Stadthuys

At Stadthuys, you can find displays related to Malaysia and Malacca's history, including exhibits on Japan's occupation period. These exhibits provide a different perspective on Japanese history, and since they're based on locally available materials, it was quite interesting.

Literature Museum


As for the Literature Museum, it was intriguing but a bit challenging to understand without knowledge of Malay. Much of the content relies on oral traditions. However, I hadn't heard much about literature in Malaysia, so this visit gave me insight into what kinds of literature exist here.

One notable difference was that unlike other facilities, you had to remove your shoes at the entrance, and the air conditioning was superb. When I visited, it was almost empty, and the entrance featured a somewhat eerie-looking puppet reading a book. So, I'd recommend going with someone if you can, as the place can be quite quiet and slightly spooky.


The Benefits of Joining the Tour

As the free time ended, we began our journey back to Kuala Lumpur. While I was cautious with my valuables, I felt comfortable napping on the bus.

Kuala Lumpur can get congested in the late afternoon, so I was prepared for possible delays. However, we returned almost on time, which I consider a success.

Joining this tour allowed me to explore areas that would be less accessible for solo travelers who don't drive, and I got to learn about the history, making it an excellent day trip.

Malacca offers a rich experience with its historical heritage and ample shopping opportunities, making it a great value tourist destination. Whether you use this tour as a reconnaissance trip for a more in-depth solo adventure or simply want to enjoy a cost-effective day trip, I highly recommend considering a tour like this.


Recomended Reading!


Getting 5 Vaccinations in One Go Before Studying Abroad in Malaysia! What's the Pre-Travel Schedule? Which Preventive Vaccinations Did I Get? Review! DR PLANT Special Eye Cleam with Facial Massager 【Duolingo】Trying Out the New Feature! My Experience with Daily Refresh

No comments:

Post a Comment