Keep your credit card strongest with an overseas cash advance facility! How to apply? Is there an enrollment check?

Keep your credit card strongest with an overseas cash advance facility! How to apply? Is there an enrollment check?

The usual way I spend money in Japan

These days, I rarely use cash in Japan. I usually use credit cards and QR code payment, partly because it is easier to manage money.

Now, when I go abroad, I felt that I don't really know how much it is worth in Japanese yen, because the currency is different.

And, although it is not the rap battle commercial by "AC" (it is very popular in Japan), it is not easy to use cash in Japanese yen, but it is even more so with unfamiliar currency.


I want to use credit cards in Malaysia

Therefore, I am thinking of using credit cards during my stay in Malaysia.

I usually use Rakuten Card (JCB) and Sumitomo Mitsui Card (VISA). The latter was made by my university when I was a university student, and is now my alumni card.

I have an Edy function on the Rakuten Card, so the Rakuten Card is my main card, but I continue to carry VISA card because it can be used as a coupon at stores around the university.

However, the main international brands of credit cards that can be used overseas are generally VISA and MasterCard. Perhaps I may choose to apply for a second Rakuten Card in the future and have a Master Card Rakuten Card, but at this point I think I will live with Sumitomo Mitsui Card (VISA).

Incidentally, as for overseas cash advances, which I will write about later, ATMs in KL seem to be able to withdraw local currency even with JCB cards.

Also, since there are many Japanese tourists, I heard that JCB can be used in tourist areas (*There is a JCB support office "JCB Plaza" in KL), so I do not think that JCB cards will be completely useless.


Turn on the "overseas cash advance function

Now, when you use your credit card to make purchases at overseas stores, the price of the item will be converted into Japanese yen, and you will pay an additional overseas processing fee. If you feel this is a waste of money, use cash or make a credit card locally.

However, in my case, I am not a young student, but a working adult woman who is also subsidized by my company. I am more afraid of getting pickpocketed by carrying around a large amount of cash than I am of paying an additional fee.

Furthermore, although there is a fee here as well, it is possible to withdraw local currency from local ATMs by using the "overseas cash advance" function of the credit card. I thought I could use this overseas cash advance function without having to do anything, but in the case of my card, I had to go through a procedure.

Credit cards have two types of limits: a "shopping limit" for making purchases and a "cash advance limit" for borrowing cash using the credit card. I did not have the cash advance limit open for either card.

Therefore, I decided to set a cash advance limit from the "Change Available Amount" page (the name should be different for each card). Although this is introduced as a convenient feature of credit cards on study abroad-related websites, to put it bluntly, it is a feature that allows you to borrow money on your credit card, so I presented my pay stubs and withholding tax slips when I applied. I don't know how likely it is, but according to the note on the application screen, they may call your workplace to confirm your enrollment.

I guess it would be fine if you have the proper withholding tax slip from last year or can request it immediately, but if you quit your job and decided to study abroad some time later, it might be possible that you have savings but cannot find proof of your income.


Credit cards now offer an overseas cash advance function.

Since I had never been delinquent on my credit card payments, I received the results of the screening process by mail within a week, and a cash advance facility was set up for me.


No phone calls to my workplace either, probably because I was able to promptly submit up-to-date income-related certificates. I was relieved because I work from home these days and it's a hassle to explain.

As I said, I don't think it's a good idea to spend too much money, but this should help me deal with any eventualities that may arise.


Recommended Reading



No comments:

Post a Comment