A Stunning Transformation in Just 3 Minutes! The "3min Kimono (Japanese clothes)" Making Activity Found in Kiba, Tokyo.

A Stunning Transformation in Just 3 Minutes! The "3min Kimono (Japanese clothes)" Making Activity Found in Kiba, Tokyo.

The "3-Minute Kimono" Activity

When planning a sleepover with friends in Tokyo, I was browsing through Airbnb activities.

Usually, I casually search on Google, but I found it interesting to explore activities that are not commonly listed on Japanese websites accessible to international tourists, such as local activities like food tours.

That's when I stumbled upon an experience of making a kimono that can be worn in just 3 minutes.

Let us make a kimono(Kimono is a gift)

The reason being, during my study abroad in Malaysia, I thought there might be opportunities to wear traditional Japanese clothing as part of cultural exchange, and I wanted to choose a kimono instead of a yukata.

While I had managed to put on a yukata with some effort, I believed that kimonos have a more elegant appearance and would be perfect for special occasions.

A friend I met through an international exchange program had mentioned attending a kimono class before boarding the Ship for World Youth, which further piqued my interest in giving it a try.

However, I was well aware of my clumsiness and knew that wearing a kimono would be challenging. Besides, as a working adult, I didn't have much free time.

Therefore, I made a reservation for this "3-Minute Kimono" activity late one night.

After making the reservation, I received a delightful message the next morning.

Surprisingly, due to the studio's availability, I could experience it on the same day. The location was near Kiba Station on the Tozai Line.


The Thrill of Kimono Remaking

Welcomed by the owner, Mio-san, the experience began.

The first step of the experience was selecting the kimono to remake. Choosing from a wide variety of patterns and colors was enjoyable, and I found a kimono that suited my taste. Trying it on, I couldn't contain my excitement as I chose a satisfying one.

Once the kimono was selected, we immediately started the process. However, the tasks were surprisingly not as difficult as I had imagined.

It started with cutting the kimono using scissors. The cut parts were then secured with hemming tape and sewn to create the section where the belt would pass through.

I have memories of spending a lot of time on French embroidery in my middle and high school days, whether it was the teacher's hobby or part of the home economics class. Since I could only make practical items like a bottle holder, I didn't have much confidence in my sewing skills.

However, this experience is designed in a way that anyone, even those who don't sew at all in their daily lives, can complete it without any issues. It seems that some people, especially foreigners, say they can sew but only with a machine. (Most of the sewing in this activity is done by hand.)



My Own Kimono!

And here is the completed my own kimono!!


Actually, there are people in the world who have strict opinions about how to wear a kimono, especially elderly ladies in Japan.

My main desire was to try wearing and showcasing a kimono abroad, and I didn't pay much attention to others' opinions. I don't care, and it's not worth worrying about.

According to the owner, "Even someone unskilled in tying an obi(belt) can appear more skillful."

While becoming adept at wearing a kimono would be great, it's also fine to find a way to casually enjoy wearing a kimono. It's exciting.

Now, let's talk about the cost of this experience. The basic fee is around 6,000 yen (depending on the booking site), with slight variations based on the grade of the chosen kimono.

I selected a kimono that cost an additional 2,000 yen. Considering the valuable experience, the opportunity to take the kimono home, and all at such a reasonable price... I feel a bit guilty about this affordable price.

By the way, to wear it in Malaysia, I will need to purchase additional accessories like a collar and obi. Actually, I can obtain the necessary items here as well.

For now, I'm thinking of checking out other shops and coordinating with easy-to-wear pre-tied obi. I'm planning to broaden my horizons.

Since I have grasped the basic process through this experience, next, I'm considering visiting second-hand kimono stores in Harajuku and other places to find kimonos. The excitement is growing.

Experiencing the charm of traditional Japanese clothing made me realize that even kimono beginners can enjoy wearing one in a short amount of time.

Kimono represents Japan's traditional culture, and its beauty and sense of uniqueness cannot be fully expressed in words.

I strongly encourage you to experience the allure of the "3-Minute Kimono" yourself.



There Are Jellyfish in the River!

Now, onto a side note.

Maybe it's because Kiba is close to the sea. There were jellyfish in the river on the way to the studio.

It's interesting how different places can be found even within Tokyo!


No comments:

Post a Comment