Surprisingly Troublesome: The Reason I've Been Running to the Toilet with Stomachaches Every Morning Since Starting My Studies in Malaysia

Surprisingly Troublesome: The Reason I've Been Running to the Toilet with Stomachaches Every Morning Since Starting My Studies in Malaysia

Smooth Sailing in My Study Abroad Journey

My study abroad life started off quite smoothly. After finishing my language school classes, I've made it a point to explore new places as often as possible.

I heard from my short-term stay classmates (mostly college students) that they only visit familiar places like Starbucks or McDonald's. In response, I excitedly mentioned, "I had a great time here!" and "This place was fantastic!" whenever we met, and it led to us bumping into each other frequently.

If I were a college student right now, maybe I wouldn't be as eager for adventures. But in my current situation, I'm financially independent, not worried about money, in my early thirties, and have acquired the skill of saying, "I don't know, please teach me!" after enduring years of academic life, including graduate school. It's not about pretending to be carefree; rather, it's about embracing the idea that it's okay not to know everything, especially in a foreign country. So, I've been enjoying exploring shopping malls, tourist spots, and taking train adventures, even when faced with uncertainty.

However, there's a slight source of stress for me.


Stress During Study Abroad and Its Cause

In my first week of studying abroad, I've been dealing with an unexpected source of stress: loose bowel movements since I arrived here! (Not the most pleasant topic, I know.)

While preparing to leave home each morning, I often experience sudden stomachaches that send me running to the bathroom.

Once I've relieved myself, I feel fine, and considering my history with severe constipation and my husband's concern for my bowel movements, this might actually be an improvement. I briefly thought it might be due to "MILO" or something similar, but I can't recall such issues when I used to drink it in Japan.

For the past five days or so, I've been puzzled about the cause of this issue. Finally, I've figured it out.

The reason I've been experiencing stomachaches and loose bowel movements since coming to Malaysia is the "hard water" here.


Malaysia's Hard Water

Japan has soft water, while Malaysia and many European countries have hard water rich in minerals. Some individuals in professions related to entertainment and beauty actively consume hard water to obtain those minerals.

However, hard water can sometimes cause loose bowel movements due to its magnesium content. While you can find over-the-counter magnesium laxatives in pharmacies, drinking hard water can have a similar effect.

Now that I think about it, I once experienced something similar when I was in Japan and drank Evian water. Evian was the largest and cheapest bottled water in my university's vending machines, so I tried to save money by drinking it. However, it was hard water, and for several days after switching, my stomach was sensitive.

So, is there a way to mitigate this?

After some research, it seems that the easiest solution is to get accustomed to it over time. Even people who drink hard water for dietary purposes, such as for weight loss, recommend transitioning gradually instead of suddenly changing water types.

By the way, for those studying in Europe, some install filters to have soft water with their landlord's permission. But in Kuala Lumpur, it doesn't seem like you can drink water directly from the tap, so I don't think that's an option. I'm mostly buying water from convenience stores.

Some information suggests that washing hair with hard water can make it feel rough, but I haven't noticed any issues personally. In fact, my hair feels even smoother than when I was in Japan. This could be due to the fact that my hair is short and that I switched from using a single bottle of shampoo and conditioner (Ma & Me) in Japan to using two separate products since coming here.

If the rough texture is a concern for you, you can find various hair care products, including Japanese and Korean brands, at drugstores. You should be able to find something that suits your needs.

I hope my body gets used to the local water by the end of this month.


Recommended Reading!!


Tsukuba University's Malaysia Overseas Branch Campus will be Established! A Stunning Transformation in Just 3 Minutes! The "3min Kimono (Japanese clothes)" Making Activity Found in Kiba, Tokyo. Spoiler-Free! Watching the Acclaimed Film "Everything Everywhere All at Once"

No comments:

Post a Comment