Recommended AI Services for Language Learning and Study Abroad Preparation: Top 3 Picks

Recommended AI Services for Language Learning and Study Abroad Preparation: Top 3 Picks

AI for Language Learning & Study Abroad Preparation

When it comes to language learning, there are moments where self-study can build your skills effectively. However, as I mentioned in a previous blog post, I've always been keen on streamlining tedious tasks since my student days. Instead of creating vocabulary flashcards, I would often opt for typing exercises to learn new words.

In the modern era, with the emergence of AI services like Chat GPT and various language learning apps incorporating AI, it has become easier to utilize AI for language studies. In this post, I'd like to introduce AI services that I personally use for language learning and study abroad preparation.


DeepL Translation

DeepL is a German-based translation website known for providing more natural translations, taking into account subtle nuances. While its ease of use is apparent when translating from different languages into Japanese, the service also offers alternative translation suggestions when you click on the translated text.

This versatility allows not only AI-driven translations but also serves as a tool for individuals knowledgeable in the target language to find more suitable translations. In fact, among my acquaintances who are proficient in English, I often see them using DeepL during proofreading and other situations.

Nevertheless, many may still prefer using Google Translate for translation needs. Personally, I only discovered DeepL through a friend's recommendation as a service that offers more natural translations in German. Since Google is more familiar, especially with its automatic translation service for Japanese-to-English queries, it tends to be more widely used.

A drawback, however, is that Google Translate supports a wider range of languages compared to DeepL, making Google the go-to service for languages not supported by DeepL. Though for my daily life, which mostly revolves around English and Chinese translations, this limitation is not a significant inconvenience. Still, when I encounter situations at work or need to check email subject lines in languages unsupported by DeepL, this could become a drawback.


QuillBot

QuillBot, distinguished by its green robot logo, is a powerful ally when it comes to writing in English. Specifically, it offers AI-based grammar checks and paraphrasing services. Additionally, when paraphrasing, users can adjust the level of formality in the output, whether casual or formal.

The benefit of QuillBot lies in its ability to immediately correct mistakes when you input text. As the AI operates impartially, you need not worry about taking time for self-checks or facing potential embarrassment when someone points out errors.

I tended to be prone to basic grammar mistakes, such as forgetting to add "-s" in third-person singular verbs. During my university days, I would meticulously check these grammar aspects, but now, if I can rely on AI for grammar checks, it significantly improves efficiency.

However, one drawback is that fine-tuning features require a paid subscription. Nevertheless, unless you have business matters that require an English contract or something similarly critical, the free membership should suffice. Personally, I use QuillBot for everyday email exchanges or proofreading content for social media posts.

It's worth noting that DeepL also offers a similar writing correction service called "DeepL Writing." With this feature, simply input your text, and the AI will revise it into a more coherent version. I find it interesting that DeepL distinguishes between American English and British English, and when I'm unsure about the American version, switching to the British version (and vice versa) often provides me with simpler, more confident expressions.


Chat GPT

Chat GPT, a versatile AI often employed not only for language learning but various tasks, can also be useful for language studies.

Personally, I've mainly used Chat GPT for translations into English or Chinese, as these are widely used languages with a substantial user base. However, considering how well it handles Japanese, a relatively less common language worldwide, I believe it likely supports a wide array of languages.

In a previous blog post, I introduced Duolingo Max, which also utilizes Chat GPT technology.

It's essential to be cautious when relying on AI for translations, as sometimes inaccuracies in personal names or other misunderstandings can occur. However, since Chat GPT allows for various specifications, such as a "casual" tone or a message addressed to someone of higher status, it can be very useful when trying to craft appropriate language for specific situations.


AI Utilization for Study Abroad Preparation

During my study abroad preparations, I found myself communicating in English with language schools and friends who recommended me. While I can write relatively short English messages like chat conversations on my own, to streamline the process, I often utilized AI tools.

For instance, when writing emails, I would first roughly translate the content and use DeepL to check unfamiliar words rather than searching on Google. DeepL occasionally provides phrase-level suggestions and variations in expression (e.g., changing active voice to passive voice), making it easier for me to compose polished sentences.

Additionally, before sending emails or posting on social media, I would run my texts through QuillBot for grammar checks. It helps me catch any major grammar mistakes or incorrect word order, ensuring that my messages are more easily understood by the recipients.

AI tools have come a long way in aiding language learning and study abroad preparation. While I haven't used AI-powered speaking practice apps extensively, I believe more services for language learning will continue to emerge in the future.

However, it is essential to be cautious while using AI services online, as they might involve inputting information that could contribute to the AI's evolution. Protecting personal information or data related to it is crucial.

I look forward to the future as we continue to embrace these tools effectively.


Recommended Reading!!


How to Research Musical and Stage Information in Malaysia and SingaporeWhen Will It Arrive? Longing for the New Android Device "OPPO Reno9A" DaysDestined encounter with my favorite character at Krispy Kreme Doughnuts

No comments:

Post a Comment