Enjoying the Cozy Terrace at the "Peter Rabbit Cafe" in Jiyugaoka

Enjoying the Cozy Terrace at the "Peter Rabbit Cafe" in Jiyugaoka

Discovered on WeChat! Mustering up the Courage...

I stumbled upon a friend from China who is studying in Japan through the Moments feature on WeChat, and we finally met in person.

To be honest, I'm not the type to initiate plans or invite people. I tend to be more passive in my daily life.

So, for a while, I hadn't approached her, thinking, "Maybe she's come to Japan for her studies." I just couldn't gather the courage.

However, when I decided to study in Malaysia and started planning my time there, I thought, "I want to do things for others that would make me happy if I were studying abroad!"

Some might consider it meddling or be worried about it, but if it becomes bothersome or unwanted, people can always decline.

When I expressed my desire to meet with her, saying, "Since you're in Japan, it would be great to meet up!" Her response was, "Sure!" I was delighted!


Peter Rabbit Cafe

Reserved a Terrace Seat

Instead of assuming the role of a fellow international student, I wanted to go out as friends and enjoy our time together. So, I researched a few options for cafes. I don't usually frequent trendy, Instagrammable places, but I was surprised to find that there were only a few cafes that accepted reservations.

After considering my friend's preferences, we decided on the Peter Rabbit Cafe in Jiyugaoka along the Toyoko Line! The fact that we could make a reservation was a major plus point.

The cafe offers both indoor and terrace seating, and we reserved a table on the terrace. I was initially concerned about the summer heat on the terrace, but after checking Google Maps reviews, I discovered that there is a transparent cover separating the outdoor area from the terrace, ensuring effective air conditioning.


Adorable Dishes

When you think of "Peter Rabbit," you might recall the famous children's book character that even had a movie adaptation. At this cafe, you can enjoy Peter Rabbit-themed latte art and dine on meals inspired by the story.

I chose the "Sleepy Salad Plate" food menu and drink set.

Cafe late with peter rabbit

salad plate


In the photos, it might be hard to see, but the salad plate had dry ice that created a smoking effect, and the sound of the dry ice bubbling in the water continued. I was a bit nervous about the dry ice spilling, but the plate was designed to prevent any accidents.

While I was snapping photos for WeChat, Instagram, or my blog, my friend made a comment.

"Japanese girls really love saying 'kawaii' (cute), don't they? This is genuinely cute, so I'll say it a lot too!"

Apparently, she had noticed Japanese girls saying "kawaii" even at places that weren't particularly cute, which puzzled her.

Perhaps there's no need to casually throw around "kawaii" so much. When something is truly cute, it's worth mentioning.


Beautiful Decorations and Thoughtfulness

As expected of the Peter Rabbit Cafe, the interior is adorned with Peter Rabbit artwork, and there are flowers that give the impression of being surrounded by nature.

But what surprised me the most was when I was about to sit at my table and noticed someone already occupying it.

Peter Rabbit

A rather large Peter Rabbit was sitting in my seat.

There were other Peter Rabbits waiting at other tables, but the one at my table was noticeably bigger.

I exclaimed, "There's Peter Rabbit!" and found myself in a situation where Peter Rabbit had taken over my seat. I was a bit undecided about where to sit, but since the staff didn't come to remove it, I had Peter Rabbit waiting on the table.

It reminded me of the Moomin Cafe that used to be in Korakuen Amusement Park. It seemed like they had created an atmosphere where even if you come alone, you won't feel lonely. I think it's a lovely touch.


Setting Goals for Study Abroad Life

Now, after taking a walk around the station and enjoying some shopping, I had the opportunity to hear about the experiences and minor worries of someone who is currently studying abroad. It led me to set a goal for my own study abroad life.

That goal is to "actively seek opportunities to interact in English and Chinese."

Having lived alone in Japan before, I'm somewhat accustomed to living independently, and besides attending language school, I can manage my daily life within the confines of my apartment. But I started to feel like that wouldn't be much different from living in Japan if I only interacted with Japanese media and communicated with Japanese friends through social media.

The most important thing is to actively engage in conversations with friends who speak English or Chinese. At the very least, I want to consciously immerse myself among people speaking languages other than Japanese and actively seek out multilingual environments. In my case, being more proactive is necessary because I tend to be passive.

I learned this from my friend, who shared her experience of trying part-time work to break free from a life confined to her apartment. Although we met with the intention of simply having fun, I had a lot of enjoyable conversations, and it became a catalyst for envisioning my life during study abroad.

By the way, according to her information, there are many people from Malaysia studying in China, and likewise, many Chinese students studying in Malaysia. It seems to be motivating for learning Chinese.

She also gave me a little lecture about the Chinese social media app RED (Xiaohongshu) and how it's used. Until now, I've only searched for information but didn't feel confident in using it effectively. So, while focusing on language learning, I think I'll take a look at it too.


Recommended Reading!

Who is My 'Immediate Supervisor'? A Solution When Unsure About Announcing Marriage at Work! Consideration for Others is Important Too!First Challenge! Malaysian Cuisine at "Malay Chan" in Ikebukuro (Halal Certified) - Tokyo's Halal RestaurantDo You Really Need an Agent for Studying in Malaysia? Pros, Cons, and Real Experiences

No comments:

Post a Comment